Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Skillet Cornbread

It's Thanksgiving tomorrow, and so far I've spent my day cleaning, baking, and cleaning some more. I actually braved the grocery store yesterday, but I came back four pears short, so unfortunately I'm going to be headed back that way again today. Wish me luck. Yesterday I got stuck behind an incredibly confused young lady who spent at least 15 minutes staring at the spices in the baking isle, which was already so packed that there was no way around her. I wanted to offer help, but she looked so annoyed that I was too chicken to say anything. Anyway, most of the things I'm making for Thanksgiving unfortunately won't be posted till after Thanksgiving, however, this is one staple that EVERY good southern family needs during this holiday weekend. Skillet Cornbread. mmmmm, the crispy crusty outside, the sweet honey-crumbly goodness, the beautiful rich yellow color... I could go on forever.

This corn bread is one my grandmother used to make, my mom has made my entire childhood, and I started making the day I got my cast iron skillet. It's a trusty, good ol' Betty Crocker recipe.

Skillet Cornbread:

1 1/2 cups yellow, white, or blue cornmeal (i use yellow)
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups buttermilk*
1/4 cup shortening + extra for greasing skillet
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 taspoon baking soda
2 large eggs
honey for drizzling

*if you don't have any buttermilk make your own using 1 1/2 cups milk + 4 tablespoons vinegar.

Start by heating the oven to 450. Use shortening to grease the bottom and sides of a 10-inch round cast iron skillet, then put in oven to heat.



Meanwhile, in a large bowl stir all ingredients until well mixed. Beat vigorously for 30 seconds, then pour into hot skillet.



Bake in skillet for about 20 minutes, or until golden brown and toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Serve warm with butter and honey.


1 comment: