Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Chocolate Chip Cookies

I know everyone has had one of those really rough, awful, no good, exhausting, all around bad days. Today was one of those for me - I won't whine about it here though. But after a day like that, there is only one thing that can make me feel better: gooey, warm, delicious Chocolate Chip Cookies, hot out of the oven. So today when I got home feeling utterly dejected and defeated I put on my apron and started eating the second the cookies came off the cookie sheet.

Now, I promise that this won't be the only chocolate chip cookie recipe you see on this website (as a matter of fact, there is already a chocolate chip oatmeal cookie recipe a few posts back). I love chocolate chip cookies, and I have at least a dozen more recipes that look promising. But here is a good one to start with (from SmittenKitchen no less). I don't have many photos of this because my camera battery went dead, but that doesn't lessen the deliciousness of the cookies.

Gooey Chocolate Chip Cookies:

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 egg
1 egg yolk
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

1. Preheat the oven to 325°F (165°C). Grease cookie sheets or line with parchment paper. (I have a seriously amazing pan that is completely nonstick so i didn't bother with the parchment, but if you don't have an awesome pan like me, you might want to go ahead)

2. Whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt; set aside. In a medium bowl, cream together the melted butter, brown sugar and white sugar until well blended.

3. Beat in the vanilla, egg, and egg yolk until light and creamy. Mix in the sifted ingredients until just blended.



4. Stir in the chocolate chips by hand (i used my trusty rubber spatula). Drop cookie dough 1/4 cup at a time (for giant cookies) or a tablespoon at a time (for smaller cookies) onto the prepared cookie sheets. Cookies should be about 3 inches apart.



5. Bake larger cookies for 15 to 17 minutes, or 10 to 12 minutes for smaller ones (check your cookies before they’re done; depending on your scoop size, your baking time will vary) in the preheated oven, or until the edges are just brown. Cool on baking sheets for a few minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool completely.



And like magic, a bad day seems just a little bit better.

No comments:

Post a Comment