Thursday, August 6, 2009

Beach Food: Part Deaux

A few things are on my order of business today - such as leaving for the beach. As predicted, I haven't packed, haven't finished cooking, and am tremendously disappointed about my swimsuit. The reason I'm disappointed though, is that I'm not going to get it! Turns out that they canceled the order. LAME.

However, what is not lame, is the recipe for Chocolate chip oatmeal cookies that I am about to share with you. This is a recipe that was originally a Betty Crocker recipe for plain old chocolate chip cookies. which are fine, just a little anticlimactic. These cookies however, are awesome, especially because the recipe was modified by none other than my Granny. Try them out and see if you don't agree.

Granny's Chocolate chip oatmeal Cookies

1/2 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup shortening
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups all purpose or whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon water
12 oz of semisweet chocolate chips
2 cups oatmeal

Preheat your oven to 375. In a large bowl mix together sugars, shortening, egg, and vanilla, then stir in remaining ingredients (chocolate chips and oatmeal last). I do have a few words to the wise on this recipe: only make this with an electric mixer if you have something kind of industrial, like a kitchenaid stand mixer. I almost burnt out my parents hand mixer a few years ago trying to stir in the chocolate chips and oats.



sorry these photos are a little dark, my kitchen doesn't have amazing lighting and these were taken around midnight last night.



Drop the dough by rounded teaspoonfuls (or if you're like me then just use your fingers) onto the ungreased cookie sheet. Bake until light brown, about 8 to 10 minutes. cool slightly before removing from cookie sheet. Makes about 3 1/2 dozen. That's a lot of cookies folks!



I actually made my dough and about half the cookies last night, and just finished them up this morning. But my main project for today was Raspberry-topped Lemon Muffins, again, recipe courtesy of www.smittenkitchen.com (can you tell how much i love that website?). However, when i went to the store this morning, the raspberries sucked. They were mushy and gross looking, so instead, I bought blackberries. Believe me, the muffins are just as fabulous, really you could probably make them with just about any berry.

Blackberry-topped Lemon Muffins
Yield: 14 large or 56 miniature muffins

1 1/8 cups sugar, divided
4 teaspoons finely grated lemon peel (from two large lemons)
2 cups all purpose flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 large egg
1 cup buttermilk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1 1/2 1/2-pint containers (about) fresh raspberries, or in my case, blackberries.

Preheat oven to 375°F. Line 14 standard muffin cups (or 56 minis) with paper liners. Muddle 1/8 cup sugar and lemon zest in small bowl until sugar is slightly moist. Something like this:



Whisk flour, baking powder, and salt in medium bowl to blend. Using electric mixer, beat remaining 1 cup sugar and butter in large bowl until smooth. Beat in egg. Beat in buttermilk, then vanilla and lemon sugar. Beat in flour mixture.



Divide batter among muffin cups. Smitten Kitchen says to top each large muffin with 4 raspberries (or mini muffins with one each). However, since i used blackberries, which were much larger, i just played it by ear, some of the muffins got 4 berries and some got 2. Bake muffins until lightly browned on top and tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 35 minutes (baking time is supposed to be on the shy side of 20 minutes for mini muffins).



As Rachel Ray would say... YUM-O. okay, i promise i wont ever say that again.

Now, I know you'll all miss me while I'm gone at the coast, at least, all two people who have ever seen this blog will maybe miss me a little. But, don't worry, I'll be back Tuesday, and rest-assured that I will be posting again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment